Myopia, commonly known as nearsightedness, affects millions of people worldwide. It occurs when the eyeball grows too long, preventing light from focusing properly on the retina and resulting in blurry distance vision. While glasses and contact lenses can correct blurry vision, they don't address the underlying issue of eye elongation. At Andrew Stone Optometry in Columbia, MO, we provide comprehensive eye exams and treatment to slow down the progression of myopia. Before visiting us, learn more about myopia control below:
What is Myopia Control?
Several methods fall under the umbrella of Myopia Control, each with its own strengths and considerations. Our optometrist will work with you to determine the most suitable approach based on your individual needs and preferences. Some methods we may recommend include:
• Myopia Control Spectacles: These specially designed glasses feature lenses that aim to control peripheral light rays entering the eye, potentially influencing eye growth.
• Myopia Control Contact Lenses: Certain types of contact lenses, such as orthokeratology lenses worn at night, can reshape the cornea temporarily. This can improve distance vision and prevent myopia from progressing.
• Atropine Eye Drops: Low-dose atropine eye drops have been shown to be effective in slowing myopia progression. However, they can cause temporary side effects like light sensitivity and blurry near vision.
The Importance of Myopia Control
Myopia Control offers a variety of benefits. Some of these benefits include:
• Slower progression of myopia, potentially leading to less severe nearsightedness in adulthood.
• Reduced risk of developing serious complications associated with high myopia, such as retinal detachment and glaucoma.
• Improved quality of life, especially for children and young adults who may struggle with blurry distance vision.
Contact us for an Appointment Today
If you or your child are concerned about myopia, our team at Andrew Stone Optometry in Columbia, MO, is happy to help. We will assess your vision, discuss your concerns with you, and recommend the necessary treatment for your unique needs. To schedule your appointment, contact us at (573) 445-7750 today. When you’re seeking an optometrist near me, we are ready to assist you!